sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2013honda crv a\c will not turn off at highway speed lines

Customer Question

2013honda crv a\c will not turn off at highway speed lines freeze up but works fine when Stopped
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Really, the only thing that should be in your car’s AC system is refrigerant and oil. To keep these things inside and others — such as air, moisture and dirt — out, the pipes, hoses and seals are specially designed to maintain a tight seal. The problem of car AC lines freezing up is caused by moisture that has been introduced into the system. At the expansion valve or fixed orifice tube, depending on the system, liquid refrigerant instantly expands into a gas, forcing the temperature to drop. Moisture in the system can freeze at that point, blocking refrigerant flow through the valve, and you’ll notice you have warm air coming out of the vents. As the valve warms up again, the ice melts and refrigerant flows, so you’ll get cool air again, but the cycle will continue.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Generally, the only way that moisture can get into the AC is if the system is opened up or if you have a leak. If there is a leak, air and moisture can be pulled in by vacuum on the low side of the system. Also, any time that the AC system is opened, moisture can get in. For example, if you use a bottle of r134a to fill it up, a little moisture can get in when you open the valve cap and install the can. Similarly, if an accident breaks the system, such as the condenser or one of the lines, the open system can freely absorb water from the air. Normally, the receiver-dryer absorbs some of this moisture, but it only has so much capacity before it is saturated, leaving the rest to float about in the refrigerant stream.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Recover the refrigerant from the system and make any necessary repairs to parts such as O-rings, hoses, lines or evaporators. If the system has been opened for more than a few hours from an accident, damage or corrosion, the receiver-dryer absolutely must be replaced. It can become saturated when left exposed to the air. Alternatively, if the system has only been open a few minutes, during recovery and evacuation for engine repair, for example, you probably won’t have to replace it. Evacuate the AC system for about 30 minutes to boil off any moisture in the lines. Finally, recharge the system with the proper quantities of refrigerant, oil and a little ultraviolet dye for future leak detection.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You could have a problem with the expansion valve causing the lines to freeze. Your receiver drier could also need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It freezes up because it will not cycle off and you can not turn it off with the a\c switch. I replaced the dryer, relay,evap temp sensor iam a 36 year ase tech did not need basic solution not satisfied with your answer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This Honda only has 24000 miles on it
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Should still be under warranty depending on the start date.

I will opt out and another expert will help shortly. No need to reply to this as it will lock the question back to me and others will not be able to view it.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?