Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I put a little over 2 gallons of gasoline in a 36 gallon

Customer Question

I put a little over 2 gallons of gasoline in a 36 gallon tank (2015 duramax diesel) will it harm the engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

Yes. Not only can it damage the fuel system, but the engine will not run nearly like it should if at all. Have you started the engine since you have put gas in it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
drove 15 miles

Did you top the tank of with diesel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Gas is heavier than diesel so your fuel pump will pick it up sooner. If there is gas in the system the engine will not likely start when it is cold. You really need to have the fuel system flushed and cleaned. If you let the engine cool down the gas will not be able to burn in the cylinders when the engine is cold. This will cause gas to stay in the cylinders. If enough gas builds up in the cylinders then you can bend connecting rods, break pistons or even damage the rod bearings. With the engine running the gas can at least burn off when it is injected into the cylinders and should not hurt much other then fuel mileage and may run rough.

I am sorry gas is lighter then diesel and floats. But as the fuel is recirculated back into the tank and it can cause the two to mix.

I was working on a customer with water in there tank and got mixed up. I am sorry for any confusion.