Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 Honda Crv Ex 4wd, 215K miles (USA) Just finished

Customer Question

2002 Honda Crv Ex 4wd, 215K miles (USA)
Just finished installing timing chain. Doubled checked work. Buttoned everything up. Oil and filter changed as well.
Car didn't want to start at first. Battery was low...contacts on positive terminal were rusty and corroded... cleaned contacts. Car started but it idles high and starts surging between 2-3k rpm. What happened?
Category: Car
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David.......check all your vacuum connections and hoses. spray throttlebody cleaner around the base of the intake, throttlebody and all vacuum connections.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Checked hoses, sprayed everywhere, no change. Engine is warmed up, fans running, still bouncing between 1200-2000 rpms. (When car is put into gear the idle is steady). ---Just trying to rule out my recent work: could this problem be related to the timing chain? If it slipped before the tensioner could take up the slack one of the cams could be off by a tooth.

its a possibilty but imho i dont think so. remove the idle air control valve and thoroughly clean it out along with the passages where it mounts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the cam timing were off, could it cause the problem I'm seeing? Not trying to belabor the point, but there is a history about this job that I haven't gone into. To make long story short. On first attempt installing timing chain I couldn't get one of the Dots on the cams to fall within the dark chain links, but the horizontal scribe marks were aligned. I was told that it was ok as long as the horizontal marks were aligned. Don't ask me why, but subsequently I gently pried on the tensioner for two clicks to take up any chain slack, in doing so I thought it appeared too tight so I asked a technician and he said to do it over. When I reinstalled the chain again the Dot marks were in alignment and as best as I could tell so were the horizontal scribe marks.(?) So now I have had two results while installing the chain and it makes me wonder if the horizontal scribe marks are off a tooth on my last install, which would mean that the rear (or left cam sprocket is advance clockwise one tooth. I hope I'm making some kind of sense here. I really don't want to revisit the timing chain again. If you believe that the symptoms are not related to the timing and it's the IAC valve then that's what I will do.

since youve had to different results i agree about the timing then. start from scratch. do the chain have colored links that match up to the dots on the cams and cranks?

http://workshop-manuals.com/honda/cr-v_ex_4wd/l4-2.4l/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/engine/timing_components/timing_chain/component_information/service_and_repair/chain_case_oil_seal_installation/page_2099/

the above link will help you tremendously. but ill will still be here for assistance

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the diagram, but it looks like the same one I already have. Colored links are black verses gray chain).-So If I take the valve cover off should be able to verify cam alignment at TDC?
(It was with cam sprocket B that I had issues. If the colored link was on it's mark then the horizontal scribe mark C was off. I had no trouble aligning crank to TDC, or Crank mark with colored link , or Cam sprocket A timing mark with colored links.)

at initial timing the only thing you should be worried about is the colored links matching up to the cam and crank marks. that it. do not worry about the marks on the timing case, they will be close enough

those marks and colored links will not match up again once the engine is turned over. well eventually they will but its after very very many revolutions. only worry about them at initial timing

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;at initial timing the only thing you should be worried about is the colored links matching up to the cam and crank marks"...When I first started this job and a colored link didn't lineup on Cam B, Honda-man told me, "What's important is the "C" marks. They are the TDC marks for the cams. The A&B marks just need to be in the up position."I am confused now, there are two marks on the cams, DOTs (A&B) to be aligned with the colored links and LINEs (C) to be aligned horizontally with each other. The other tech seems to say C are the important ones and you seem to say A&B are the ones to be concerned with.

hang on a few. i will get you cleared up on this

ok. when you are timing the vehicle. put the crank at tdc and the cams at tdc, the punch marks on the cams should be at the top. move the cams to match the 2 marks on the side, just remember you are looking at them from an angle so they not appear to be lined up perfect. once that is done, match the colored link on the crank and the colored links on the cams. if you have to move the cams a little to do this then do it. the chain links are different colors for a reason. they must match up for proper timng

I have done a few of these but its been a while, but anytime i time any vehicle and the chain has the colored links, i make sure they match up with the punch marks on the cams and crank. i dont worry about anything else. just make sure you manually crank the engine afterwards and a few times and bring the crank to tdc and the marks should all line up

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when all is done the cam marks (Dots) at the top should be centered on the colored links, but horizontal marks (LINES) on the side (center facing each other) can be off or appear to be off.
..."manually crank the engine afterwards and a few times and bring the crank to tdc and the marks should all line up" Should line up with what? How do I know if it's aligned unless I rotate it to the point where the colored links are again on the Dots?

then you bring the engine to tdc on the compression stroke with the old long extension in the #1 spark plug whole trick. then check the 2 side marks on the cams and they should mate up

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess you have to have the last word before I can rate you.

just remember that the links are colored for a reason. thats the key. the timing marks are there for reference. they should be close though. also before you put the engine back together manually turn the crank at least 4 revolutions to check for interference. all you need to do is put the harmonic balancer back on and nothing else to start the engine to see if everything sounds good.

If you are questioning the procedure i will opt out and let another professional assist you. thank you and good luck

Expert:  Tom replied 4 months ago.

Different expert here did you still need assistance ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Problem solved. Removed and cleaned IACV. All is well with the world. Thanks anyway.