Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I hit a parking block. No obvious problems. Months later I

Customer Question

I hit a parking block. No obvious problems. Months later I took my VW EOS in because my A/C was not cooling down the car sufficiently. They say the bump in the parking lot caused a leak in the condenser. No spots on the garage floor. What?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: It's a 2013 car. Hoses never changed. Garaged. 22,000 miles on it. Lives in Austin TX in the city
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Wondering if the dealer is making the correct analysis. As you know, if it's a bump, no warrantee.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately they are probably right. A hard hit will often crack the AC condenser even if it isn't directly contacted. You will almost never see the leak- it leaks out gas little by little and you never see it.

I would ask to see the damage, just to confirm, but you will likely see either a seam on the condenser covered in oily dust film, or if it actually contacted the condenser you will see the damage. Either way, they are probably correct. We see vehicles all of the time with tiny pin holes in the condenser from rocks popping up on the road. All it takes is a tiny hit and it will make a leak and the driver has no idea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.