AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

I just bought a 1986 KDX 80 dirtbike. What are the steps in

I just bought a 1986 KDX 80 dirtbike. What are the steps in starting it?

hello. this is the car category, but i have owned dirt bikes in my younger years so I'll try and help out. make sure the gas valve at the fuel tank is in the on position. swing the kick starter out. It is located on the right side of the engine. once swung out, set your choke which is located on the left side of the engine on the carburetor. Then, pull the clutch with your left hand and kick start the bike with your right foot. hopefully that helps. It most likely won't start on the first kick. you will probably have to kick multiple times.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It does not start I believe something internal is messed up what do you recommend as far as taking the engine apart I've never done it before is there a rebuild manual

does it kick over? or is the engine seized?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it kicks over

Ok. Have you checked the fuel like at the carb to make sure that it is getting fuel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I smell fuel but I don't know how to check it do you

you could just pull the fuel line off the carb. if there's fuel there, then it's getting fuel. next step would be to see if your getting spark. remove the spark plug and rest it on the block and kick the bike over. watch the electrode. do you see a spark in the plug?

this is a 2 stroke bike, correct? if you have a bad fuel/oil mixture then you could have fouled out the spark plug. who knows how long it's been since it's been run too, since you just bought it. check the plug and the fuel line from the tank to the carb and let me know what you come up with.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I unscrewed the hose at the bottom of the carburetor and gas started coming out I also check the spark plug and it is getting spark. There are three hoses coming off the carburetor that don't go anywhere They should go somewhere is this what is causing it not to run

there should be a float chamber drain hose which is not connected to anything and a float chamber vent hose that is also not connected to anything. you may have flooded the engine. is the spark plug soaking wet with fuel?

Your carb may also need to be rebuilt. I would especially suspect this if the bike has sat for a long time. You could find a small engine repair shop to do the rebuild and adjust it. I would also replace the spark plug. I really dont think the engine needs to be removed and disassembled unless it won't kick over, or makes a horrible noise when kicking over.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its wet

it was possibly flooded. try letting it sit for a little bit and then try kicking it over. if its flooded it won't start right now. make sure the choke is set when trying to start cold too.