Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

I have an 2003 mazda protege. I was driving it and the

Customer Question

hi Wilson I have an 2003 mazda protege. I was driving it and the battery light came on. I parked the car and went to restart it again and the car did not start. I got a jump start and it started right up I let the car run for a 10 minutes plus and cut the car off and went to restarted it again but it did not start. So I am trying to get a correct diagnosis on the problem. Is it the alternator, the starter, or the belt?
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: it is not the battery! All the bells, chimes, and whistlers sounds upon the key being inserted. but no I have not tested the alternator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No i am not going to work on my car. I just do not want to purchase the wrong part and have it replace and found out thats not the issue.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My car daughter was in the car prior to the day the car started to act up. She was listening to the radio without having the car started. But after atleast 45 minutes of listening to the radio I started the car up and let it run for ten minutes and then cut it off and allow her to listen to the radio for 30-45 minutes. Giving facts prior to the act.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

If there were any other questions you had on this, or would like the procedures to replace either the battery or the alternator, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!