Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 Range Rover HSE broke down during our road trip:

Customer Question

2004 Range Rover HSE broke down during our road trip: service engine soon light began blinking so I parked it.
8 codes read p1300, p1117, p0443, p0011, and p0305-08.
Ordered 4 new ignition coils and a cam position sensor, as well as 8 new plugs. They are all installed.
Engine turns but makes popping sound while idling, then shuts off suddenly. If ignition is attempted too soon, it fails to turn. After 20 minutes, attempted ignition with accelerator fully depressed- engine turns again, runs briefly with popping sound, then shuts off again.
Codes p1300 and p1117 persist.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Did you do any of the diag steps for these codes prior to buying and installing parts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a surprizingly short response for how much detail I've given you: the written description of your work ethic is longer than your actual input regarding my problem.Exactly which steps do you recommend?

I take it from your response you did not do any diag steps yet and need those.

1300 means multiple misfires have been detected.

1117 means the radiator outlet temp sensor is reading wrong. With the key on confirm at the unplugged sensor one wire is 5 volts and the other is ground. If that is good then monitor the upper radiator hose by hand or with a temperature gun to see if the thermostat is stuck open or closed. If you get temps no higher than 220 and the hose heats up and cools down then the sensor should be replaced.

Can you confirm all plugs are getting adequate 1/2 inch intense blue spark with a spark tester. Can you check the compression to rule out internal engine issues with the timing. Next will be to monitor the fuel pressure. Will your scan tool only retrieve codes or can it also run tests like a power balance test or a scope test on the coil and injectors?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.