Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a vauxhall meriva 1.4 turbo 2016, the radiator fan

Customer Question

I have a vauxhall meriva b 1.4 turbo 2016, the radiator fan would engage
at 100 C, cooling the engine to about 95 C . Presently it is not engaging , and the ECT temperaturę goes above 107, 110 C. What could be the reason why the fan stopped working. Then apparently it engages in 2nd
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: it engages in 2nd fan speed when reaching about 110C, yes it is quite warm
JA: What is the model of your '16 Vauxhall Merida?
Customer: it is an Opel Meriva 1.4 Turbo Enjoy
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I knew which part to replace I could do it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The fan works when I turn the AC swith on, but this doesnt help to cool the already hot engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Some models use a low speed fan relay and this relay can burn out and cause this fault here.I have also seen where the engine computer can fail internally and not send a signal to turn on the low speed fan relay.These are the two main causes for this issue here.

The computer and relay will need tested to see if one of these is the cause here needing replaced and then the affected component replaced.Unfortunately I do not have a diagram of the locations of the relays and computer or testing info on this myself and I apologize for this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They use GM or Denso type ECU therein the Opels/Vauxhall cars. Apparently when I unplug the battery, the fan might engage at low speed (when the temp reaches 100C ), as if the ECU was being re-set, and then it doesnt turn on when the temp reaches same value. I wonder if there is any module in the fan resistor present therein which might be re-setting itself with the unpluging of the battery or is it strictly ECU related. This question is for a 2016 GM Opel/Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 Turbo 2016 car.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

It can be a relay in the resistor assembly or another electronic resetting in the resistor assembly when you unplug the battery that is allowing operation of low speed.If this fan has an actual fan control ecu or resistor assembly this would be the most common in most cases to cause this issue here needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete