Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2004 rhd Suzuki xl7 that is not starting. No check

Customer Question

I have a 2004 rhd Suzuki xl7 that is not starting. No check engine light when ignition is in on position before start up. I have told that it is possible that the bcm might be the cause of this
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It cranks but does not start. The battery is good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have been here before and had no solution. I have tried everything relays, grounding everything
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It started after I had the ignition barrel re keyed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I leave it for a week or 2 and go back to it the cel is on then it starts fine. After a day of using the car it will go back to no start and usually when the cel flickers or go off before attempting to crank the engine there is a clicking noise coming from the center area of the dash console.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Someone suggested it's the bcm that kills it. I was told that this model of xl7 has no immobilizer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is very frustrating. That it would work for a day or 2 then go back into that mode.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Last thing I noticed that when I tried to start it without the check engine light present, the clock begin flashing and will not stop unless I remove the battery terminal then replace it.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** check engine light is not coming on that would mean PCM is missing power/ground or PCM itself has failed. Here is a connector diagram to check power/grounds before replacing. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eze9doc2mfv705/ecs.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mbqu86dcfzm56i/ecmdi.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The BCM could cause this too but not as likely. I'll also upload diagrams so you can test power/ground at BCM. Then to know for sure if problem is BCM or PCM you need a scan tool capable of communicating with both.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Here is wiring diagram for BCM also, I'd expect around a $500 repair at a shop. It is also possible ignition switch is problem which you will notice if module is missing ignition power.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhjdasdlymjcmpb/bcm1.pdf?dl=0