Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

My 2006 Range Rover keeps stalling. I'll be driving or

Customer Question

My 2006 Range Rover keeps stalling. I'll be driving or idling and it will just shut off. The radio, lights, and all that will still be on but it stalls. I have it at the Range Rover dealer now and they claim it is the fuel pump even though all day yesterday it kept starting. Now this morning they claim it won't start at all.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 months ago.

Ok there are actually numerous issues with these fuel pumps failing .Wen the vehicle was running was the check engine light on or any dash lights blinking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was a check engine light on but the only codes to come up was break light switch (which i replaced) and the gas cap being loose
Expert:  Tom replied 3 months ago.

Ok was there actually an issue with the rear brake lights?As for the code for the gas cap are you sure it was not an eval code fuel the fuel system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This all started like a month and a half ago. It would stall maybe once a week. Now it's doing it numerous times a day. I pull off the road shut the truck off and it will restart 5 mins later.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does this even sound like a fuel pump problem?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 months ago.

Ok if this was the fuel pump it would have died completely and not restarted this can even be an issue with the vehicles security system not reading the chip in the key and that will cut out the fuel pump and cause the vehicle to stall thats what it sounds like to me. Another issue is it can just be a dirty throttle body or faulty mass air flow sensor .How much do you trust the shop its in now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The technician is supposedly kind of a friend of mine. But he had no idea what the problem was yesterday cause it kept starting. I hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now today it won't start at all? Makes no sense.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He cleaned the throttle body 2 months ago
Expert:  Tom replied 3 months ago.

Ok tell him to check the security system.its calls the immobilizer system there is a chip in the key and the ignition switch reads that chip and allows the fuel pump to operate and the vehicle to start .If there si a damaged key ,damaged ignition switch or transponder ring around the ignition switch it can cause this issue .When this fails the fuel pump will still come on its just cuts fuel to the fuel injectors.This sounds like more of the issue to me not the fuel pump .He needs to start here and check these items it can be as simple as disconnecting the battery for a half hour then using a different key if you have 2 to fix this issue.I would start here next.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.Im here if you need anything else .