sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2009 land rover LR2 that has a leak on the drivers

Customer Question

i have a 2009 land rover LR2 that has a leak on the drivers side from the sunroof
Category: Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the headliner has some stains on it but mainly the water accumulates on the drivers floor after a heavy rain
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be a handful of things.

The sunroof may not be closing correctly due to a mechanical issue. The first thing you'll want to do is make sure the glass is fully closed.

Also make sure the seal is intact. If the seal is damaged or out of place then obviously it's going to allow more water past the glass than intended.

If there are no visible problems then odds are you have one or more clogged drains. There is a drain trough system under the glass to catch the water that does come past the glass, which then is channeled out of the car with a drain tube from each corner of the sunroof assembly. These drains will often become restricted and then the water will run into the headliner and down trim panels. Restricted drain tubes can usually be gently blown out with compressed air and a blow gun.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your reply, however I am pretty much convinced the drain line on the drivers side is clogged. what I need is advice on how to proceed with finding the clog and opening up the drain line. I look inside the opened sunroof on the Land Rover and am not able to see where the drain line begins. I was hoping for more specifics like is removing the headliner recommended or the kick panel etc.. If i know the end of the drain line can i blow air up? Perhaps you have a diagram of the LR2 drain line as I am not able to find one. Any specifics as opposed to generalities would be appreciated.

You wouldn't remove trim panels or the headliner.

Are you able to open the glass and upload a picture showing the corner area of the drain trough under the glass?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure if this will help but here is a picture of the sunroof

Here is a picture showing drain tube location. Are you able to get a blowgun down to that area?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helps but it also tells me that i can't access the drain line from above. There is too much trim covering up the access point to the drain line to even see where the water enters. Is there access to the other end of the drain tube to be able to blow the line clear from the bottom up? or perhaps a way to move the headliner out of the way to be able to access the tube where it enters the sunroof?

If you're unable to get a blowgun to that area from the top then you can partially drop that corner of the headliner. You'll most likely need to partially remove the door seal, A pillar trim, and the sunvisor and drop that corner enough to get to the tube.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give that a try however I won't be able to do it right now. I will let you know how It worked out. Thanks it sounds like i have a plan if the headliner cooperates.

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was able to drop the entire front of the headliner and get a good visual inspection of the "A" piller and left right and underside of the sunroof. Unfortunately it looks nothing like the diagram you sent me. There are no visual drain lines coming from the sunroof anywhere. It appears that the water is just channeled out and kept out by a gasket or seal that the glass rests on when closed. Any suggestions. I am about ready to give up. The only thing that seems to make sense is it could be coming in around the windshield.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure if its important but the sunroof in the land rover is a dual glass sunroof (factory installed) not a single glass sunroof.
Can you run a garden hose over the windshield and see if it leaks?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i'll give it a try

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im not able to rate the service yet because I still have the same problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still looking for the leak.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.