Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Gages work when ignition on, start car gages shut down and

Customer Question

Gages work when ignition on, start car gages shut down and engine light comes on
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Greg, in order to be able to help you we are going to need more information starting with the year, make and model of your car . It would also be very helpful if you can scan the computer system and see what fault code and or codes are that should be setting when the check engine light comes on. Post back with this and complete information ans we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car is a 2000 buick lasabre, when pluged in the computer about 25 codes all u and b codes, we put in a new ignition and that didn, t work, still everything works when car is not running but when starts about 30 seconds later the radio, gas gage goes off and the service vehicle comes on as does the brake light air bag light andoil light. Im stumped
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Can you disconnect the negative battery cable to clear all the fault codes and then reconnect it and see which ones reset and give me all that returns?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We disconneced the battery and pluged in the computer and the same message comes up: comm failure or no controller available. Also the diagnostic plugin only works when the ignition is on and the car is not running, when car is running no power to the plug
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Most codes are retrieved with he key on and the engine off. If you are not able to communicate with the computer then how where you able to retrieve 25 codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The codes we got were when the car was not running and key on
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay so what are the codes you getting now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There were no codes just the message (comm failure or no controller available)
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Well with nothing to work with here I do not know what to advise you needs repair. I can open the post back up for you if you would like and perhaps someone else may have something to offer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since we did not find the answer it hard to rate a service. The problem still exists so I will have to find someone with more
knowledge and experience.