Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

P0197 code Nissan maxima 09

Customer Question

P0197 code for a Nissan maxima 09
Category: Car
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hi John, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Engine Oil Temperature Sensor (EOT) has failed. You can check the EOT sensors resistance in a pot of water on the stove. The link below is the full description of the EOT sensor and its circuit.

DTC P0197

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. Where is the location of this sensor on the engine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been told that there is no oil temp sensor on this vehicle from the dealership. Which is odd lol
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Looking down at the engine the EOT is to the right of the exhaust manifold mounted in the side of the block. The EOT sensor has a gray two pin connector. The link below is the best image I can find for its location.

Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Location

Original equipment parts are recommended.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That is very odd for a vehicle to set a code for a component that doesn't exist.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was thinking the same as well on the code non existence. I will check on this part tomorrow and get back with you when I start repairing.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That's cool. I did find the EOT in a circuit diagram that states the engine oil temperature sensor is located on the lower right front of the engine. The EOT sensor should have a green wire and a black wire.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Clay, I went by the dealership to get the part and this is the location the dealership pulled for the sensor attached. Is this correct.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That looks to be the oil pressure sensor. When you go to swap out the sensor make sure the connector is intact. The wire colors should be green and black.

Let me know how this works out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have swapped that sensor already but the light is still illuminated. The EOT is located at the manifold area in the block like to you image you sent to me correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also look up P0198 which is another code that coincides with the EOT.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

I just found a better image of the location, but looks like you found it.

Have you cleared the code and driven the vehicle?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I changed the Oil pressure sending unit u reset the light but it came right back on quickly even after driving for a couple days over 50 miles
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Attached is a diagnostic procedure to follow. Basically all that is being checked is the ground from the ECM to the sensor and the voltage that changes with the temperature change.

DTC's P0197 & P0198

Let me know if there is ground and if the temperature values change from a cold engine to a warm engine.
Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the location of the sensor I sent to you matches what you found pertaining better images?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The sensor is located near the manifold into the engine block or near the oil filter housing?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

It's on the side of the block behind the manifold.

EOT with F68 Connector

F68 is the connector number with 2 wires black and green.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK once I start working on this tomorrow I will be in touch again being that I don't have any parts. Diagnosing the problem is good but if I can just replace the sensor would be better. The car is in great condition with great care so I highly doubt the harness or ecm has issue. Part cost is fairly cheap. I will contact you on tomorrow once I get repairing the vehicle
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That's cool, I'll be here.

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hey John, hadn't heard from you in a couple of days. Let me know if swapping out the EOT changed anything.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Clay, As I am still waiting on the part for the vehicle. Should have it on tomorrow hoping
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That's cool, I'll be here tomorrow.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here a photo of coolant temp sensor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The EOT Brings up sensor as such in photos
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Looks to be correct. You can check the resistance with an OHM meter, should be about 0.50kΩ at 70°F.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why would Nissan put the code name as EOT this is crazy lol
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Both sensors are temperature sensors and when it comes to costs it's smarter to have one part number for 2 different jobs. I agree they could have done a better job listing as such.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Obviously even the manufacturer can even give me your answer. Poor new school technicians need more training
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Not quite sure where you're coming from. I'm to old to go back to school. lol.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well Clay, no good news with the changing of that sensor same code no change. That sensor location is top of the engine. What is the list of sensors this model vehicle have? Apparently the dealer doesn't have any idea of this sensor being on the vehicle. So far the OPS & CTS has been changed.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

The OPS/EOT should have a green wire and a black wire. With the OPS/EOT disconnected verify that the green wire has 5v with the key on, and check the black wires continuity to ground. The green wire could also be black with a red stripe. I see it 2 different ways in my diagrams.

The CTS should have a black/red wire and a yellow wire.

Let me know if there is ground and 5v at the EOT connector.
Thanks