EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have a 2008 smart car and I have a gear sticking problem.

Customer Question

I have a 2008 smart car for two and I have a gear sticking problem. Information board has several lights on;
ABS,ETC. The car motor turns on fine but the gears stays stuck in park. I changed the brake pads, brake light switch, checked all light balb and fuses.
I read thro lots of smart car common problems and the 2008 has a gear sticking problem. And some of those problems were resolved with a software up date. Would this be the way to go? I was also wondering should I replace the gear selector assembly... any advise....
Category: Car
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Absolutely the software update can take care of the gear sticking problem. And also selector assembly has fixed many too. It is cheaper and a good idea anyway to have the software updated before replacing the gear shift. I always start with the software update and go from there. I think that is your best option.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Please ask if you have any further questions on this. And also rate my assistance provided please using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.