Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Have a 2004 Toyota Tundra 5.4 L Gas Crew Cab. Has heated

Customer Question

Have a 2004 Toyota Tundra 5.4 L Gas Crew Cab. Has heated seats, JBL Stereo with remote controls on staring wheel.
Has Cruze control on Steering wheel too.
The Cruze control, Stereo are not working and the light on the dash for the Air Bag is lit.Can anyone tell me what the problem is, and how difficult is it to fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joshua Davenport replied 4 months ago.

Good evening. Is the stereo itself working? Is it just the steering wheel controls for the stereo that are not working?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Stereo still works, just not controls in the steering wheel.
Ok. Thank you. The symptoms you are telling me point at the steering wheel clock spring. Its a coil assembly that the air bag wiring and the steering wheel controls all run through. It looks to be a fairly easy replacement. Just have to use caution since you do have to remove the air bag from the steering wheel.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have a diagram which shows how I could do it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Especially removing the airbag what do I have to do to make sure it doesn't explode on me

Ok. As far as disarming the air bag, you would disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for at least 10 minutes before starting disassembly. I have attached the procedure for removing the Air Bag Module. Once it is removed then you will need to remove the steering wheel. Make sure the steering wheel is straight ahead and remove the bolt or nut that's holding it. A puller may be required to pull the steering wheel off the shaft. These pullers are easily rented at local auto parts store if you do not have one or need one. Once the steering wheel is off, you need to remove the steering column upper and lower covers. Then there are 4 screws that hold the clock spring assembly, remove these screws and remove the clock spring and disconnect the connecters.

Here is the Air Bag Removal if the link wont open.

Removal & Installation

1. Before proceeding, see AIR BAG SAFETY PRECAUTIONS . Ensure front wheels are in straight-ahead position. Disable air bag system. See DISABLING SYSTEM under DISABLING & ACTIVATING AIR BAG SYSTEM. Working from back of steering wheel, remove screw covers and loosen air bag module mounting Torx screws until groove around screw circumference catches on screw case. See Fig 1.
  2. Pull driver-side air bag module from steering wheel and disconnect driver-side air bag module connector. Place driver-side air bag module on a flat surface with pad side facing up.
  3. To install, reverse removal procedure. Ensure front wheels are in straight-ahead position and spiral cable is properly aligned. See SPIRAL CABLE under ADJUSTMENTS. Tighten driver-side air bag module mounting screws to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . There should be no interference between air bag module and steering wheel and clearance should be uniform. Activate air bag system. See ACTIVATING SYSTEM under DISABLING & ACTIVATING AIR BAG SYSTEM
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't seem to get PDF's to load in any browser, could you send file or link Via Dropbox? or something else. Just won't load the was it is.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I cant get the pictures to work correctly. On the back of the steering wheel will be two small access panels. The small panels will pull out with just a little pressure and then remove the screws in the access holes. Once you remove the screws the air bad will pull straight out.