Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My son was given a 1998 Mazda MPV it had not been driven

Customer Question

My son was given a 1998 Mazda MPV it had not been driven for several years it ran great for a few days and then started only running near idle as he accelerated it would die. we changed out the fuel filter added new fuel and seafoam. we also sprayed chemtool through the intake nothing helped. Today it will not start and is throwing 2 codes air flow which I assume has to do with the chem tool treatment and misfire.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: No mis fire code in the past and the car did not completely stall just needed to let off the fuel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to get it running
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the car had a quarter tank of fuel when we got it added 15 gals and seafoam, previos fuel was 3-4 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark while cranking it over? If so, does it run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I didn't get right back. I didn't see that I got a response. When the vehicle does not start it will not kick over with ether. Yesterday it started and ran much the same when you add fuel it wants to stall. I checked the cap and rotor and found corrosion so I cleaned the up and refired no change, next I checked a plug and found that the electrode was eaten back and carbon between the electrode and ground. I have ordered plugs cap and rotor an will change them when I receive them. I am now wondering with the intermittent starting issue, and the corrosion, could the coil which is located in the distributor not be putting out good current?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! YES, it could be an issue with the ignition coil.. especially an intermittant issue. This would make sense that it does not run on starting fluid when this happens as it has no or weak spark.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, the ignition coil is not all the expensive I think I will replace it as well and get back next week
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions