Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Yesterday my car shut off on me and those not want to turn

Customer Question

Hi yesterday my car shut off on me and those not want to turn back on it seams like it has something to do with the computer but im not sure
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a car. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car shut off and it dont wanna start. I check the battery and its good
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No the engine does not turn over and its about 2 years
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible yes
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: Prior to this happening when i would step on the gas it would take a little to accelerate and it also took a little bit for the gears to shift
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do all the electronics work in the vehicle like the radio,wipers,horn,lights,etc. and the only issue right now is the starter is not engaging to crank over the engine to start it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at first everything will turn on and the start button will show that the car is on but it dont turn on and after that all the lights will start flickering
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this indicates a low voltage issue.This can be caused by a loose or corroded battery cable at the battery or leading to the battery or where the cables lead to from the battery.I would check the cables and connections for any issues needing repaired to resolve this issue here.I would also check the power input signals to the fuse panels for any loose or corroded connections.

If these are all o.k. if you only checked the voltage at your battery you want to have the battery tested (a local parts store will test it free of charge) as it may be low on amperage which indicates a faulty battery needing replaced.

All of these here will cause this fault here and this will need checked into further to pinpoint and repair this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now would that have been the issue from the beginning because the day before that which it would be sunday when i would step on the gas it would take a little to accelerate and it also took a little bit for the gears to shift.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Low voltage can cause the slow acceleration fault as well as the gear shifting issues here.On the newer models that are computer,sensor and solenoid controlled voltage affects the operation of these components and can cause all of these issues here.

I would have this checked into further for any faults needing repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete