sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The car was checked out just recently at the mechanic but

Customer Question

hi,
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: The car was checked out just recently at the mechanic but out of nowhere today there was a rattling sound under the hood.
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: I pulled over and opened the hood and saw that something on the serpentine belt was flapping. I drove slowly less than a mile to get the car to a parking lot. 50 yards before I pulled in the sound changed to an intermittent groan. I pulled in and turned off the engine. The fan kept on whirring to cool the engine for about 4 minutes. The belt had snapped.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Im no mechanic but would like to know if it is a complex or easy repair and how much I should expect it to cost.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Also if there is anything else I should check for that might have been damaged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: yes. completely unrelated, the drivers side window won't open. and the passenger side door opens only manually from inside.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, what kind of vehicle is this, year, make , model, engine size? The main fan belt broke off?

Expert:  Gene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there was something hanging from the belt then that was part of the belt itself. The belt was shredding, either due to age or because of damage from a pulley or alignment issue.

What year and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?