Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

I have a 2003 A/C system. Basically a friend attempted to

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2003 A/C system. Basically a friend attempted to recharge the A/C system with refrigerant with just a can. I turned on the A/C system while he was doing this it just blowed hot air. The question I have is someone told me that I should have used a can and a half for this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the Year, Make and Model and engine size of your vehicle? I need this info to know how much refrigerant the vehicle takes..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robertn

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2003 pt cruiser
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for posting the yme.

I need a few to research this for you..I'll be back with you asap, thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Ok to properly charge the a/c system you MUST evacuate the system and apply vacuum for minimum 30 minutes. Then you must charge it by weight which is printed on the label under the hood. Just adding a can or a can and a half will NOT get the a/c to the proper level. If there was already some refrigerant in there, you will need to check the charge level by using a/c gauges and the charging level chart below..

--->> Click Here to view <<---

If the pressures and temperatures are in the range according to the chart then the system is fully charged, If out of range high or low, you need t adjust the charge level accordingly..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert