Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I changed the housing and sensor, thermostat and now the

Customer Question

I changed the housing and sensor, thermostat and now the temp gauge on the dash is pegged out on high?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the thermostat ever been replaced?
Customer: just did that
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2003 elantra
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I was just going to change the thermostat and the lower housing was broken trying to get the thermostat in.I replaced the lower housing temp sensor thermostat and gasket put it all back in and the dash show the temp pegged out as hot.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: loosened the sensor thinking maybe it had bottomed out nothing.pulled the plug and started the car then replaced the plug maybe have to reset some computer code?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: nothing I can think of, that is why I am here looking for suggestions
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

The most likely causes of the gauge being wrong are either the new sensor that you installed is defective, the wiring to the sensor was damaged during replacement, or the sensor is not the correct part. There are two types of sensors for the elantra, one operates a light that tells that the car is overheating, and the other operates a gauge that tells the temperature of the car. It sounds like your elantra is equipped with the second option. You will need to make sure the sensor you got is for the style with the gauge and not just a light.

If you are certain that the part is correct the next step is to test the signal from the temp sensor to see if it is defective. Do you have a multi-meter to test the sensor?

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you need additional help with this vehicle or did you get it sorted out?