Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

05 379, when i apply my brakes they stick few seconds then

Customer Question

05 379, when i apply my brakes they stick for a few seconds then release, today i changed the valve that is on the brake pedal because it had given me problems in the past, i would spray wd40 and it would work for a while, today i changed it out but my brakes are still sticking, i do have an abs light that came on and stays on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the QR valve above the axles for sticking and sludge inside. Verify if there is still air holding the brakes or if they are mechanically sticking as well. If air not releasing clean or replace the release valve. Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the QR valv and it's still sticking when I apply brakes, the more pressure I apply the more it sticks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the QR valve and it's still sticking, the more pressure I apply the more it sticks

thanks for the update. See if there is air pressure at the service port on the brake cans still when released by cracking the line loose. If not then check the S cams for sticking in the bushings. Remove the pin from the yoke and slack adjuster and see if the S cams will turn freely or are binding. Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No air at service port, and all slack adujusters move freely

So if the slack adjusters and S cams are moving freely and there is no air pressure holding the brakes applied they can not be applied unless you have a brake that has cammed over or other internal problems such as broken return springs etc.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could a bad or faulty brake chamber cause the brakes to stick and drag when I apply pressure

The chamber is unlikely the cause. The return springs for the linings are what releases the brakes ans the S cam will turn to release tension on the linings. disconnect the yoke and clevis pin from the slack adjuster to check and see if the S cam is turning to release the brake.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm still having trouble with my brakes on my semi truck, I've noticed that my brakes only get stuck when I apply a lot of pressure.
For example when I'm loaded and I have to make a complete or a sudden stop then my brakes will lock up for about three seconds and then they release
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok my brakes got stuck on me again at a red light, and didn't release as usual after three seconds, this time I had to pull the tractor brake knob and push it in and they released
Any thoughts

If the foot brake valve is working properly and the release valves are new it is likely in the dash valve if you have already confirmed the foot brake valve is good. Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's my trailer, when I apply the brakes the trailer brakes release slowly or stay applied
I changed the parking valve on trailer and made no difference