C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Im trying to remove the upper oil pan on a 2005 VW Touareg

Im trying to remove the upper oil pan on a 2005 VW Touareg 4.2 liter. I have removed the lower oil pan, the oil filter housing, rt side motor mount, all bolts i can find, even the 3 that were under the oil filter housing. It still does not want to come off. are there hidden bolts anywhere? how do i remove it?

Looks like 2 total holding it on. I have attached a detailed diagram to assist in removal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have this poor all data information as well. There are way more than 2 bolts holding the upper oil pan on. I have removed everything i can find and it seems like something is holding it on at the rear of the engine. Are there some hidden bolts,do i need to remove oil pump? It looks like it will remove with the oil pump still installed. When I look at all data for oil pump install it says to install oil pump and then install upper oil pan.

Lol yeah they give pretty limited information on anything from germany. I do not believe the oil pump should at all be holding the pan on but it can share a few of the bolts. I honestly wish that I could offer better insight but I can attempt to get the dealership steps. I myself would be trying to get up there with a flat head and pry on it a bit. It does have little bushings in a few of the holes that can be very snug on removal.

Did you get the bolts that are hidden by the tranny bellhousing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah, I have been doing that i just don't want to break it as its aluminum, just like the shattered piston that im trying to get access to. As for the trans bell housing, i removed two 18 mm bolts going horizontally, i think 6 13 mm bolts and a few 8mm triple square facing vertically.

I think there is one bolt behind the oil filter housing as well that is part of the reason it must be removed.

But I am not going to open this up to all the experts and hope somebody online has removed one of these recently enough to remember exactly as the diagrams are not much of a help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah, there are three that were covered up by the filter housing.

Yeah I wish I could remember how many there where exactly. I do know it was a pain to get it loose once all the bolts are removed but I do not want you to miss one and break it. It was a long time ago since I did this pan.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its super annoying. i have removed everything i can think of to make sure there are no extra bolts. Im half tempter to gas axe it off, or bust out the sledge and pry bar. I had to remove one from an a6 not too long ago when a valve broke a piston.

I totally feel your pain my man. They literally will put the bolts in places you cannot see without a diagram and alldata really sucks with some of the foreign cars. I checked all my other sources and its worse than alldata. I wish I could give more insight on this.