rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

No spark. replaced ignition module and coil. still no spark?

Customer Question

no spark. replaced ignition module and coil. still no spark?
JA: How many miles on the car? How is the battery running?
Customer: 140000 milea
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: s new battery
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: drove car to town yesterday when i came out of store car would not fire ran cold water over ignition module and car starded and ran fine. this morning no spark. replaced ig modulee and coil still no spark
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked for voltage at coil--ok . replaced ig module replaced coil. measuered resistance of coil to dist wire, about 1kohm
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

A bad CRANK sensor or broken timing belt can also cause that issue.

Thanks, Ron