Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I think I'm getting ripped off by my mechanic : olds :

Customer Question

I think I'm getting ripped off by my mechanic
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: olds
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: reverse polarity problem ignition module and fuel injectors
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: mileage is fine 108K
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It's been fixed I just think they caused the problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** describe the situation and I can give you my opinion. Let me know what original symptoms were, how many times it was taken shop because of it, and what parts were replaced. Also, what was final cost? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had a mechanic friend look at the care when it wouldn't start.
No gas to the valve on top of the engine. Needs a new fuel pump.
Called around. Got a bit for 440 for a new fuel pump, filter and screen.
When they got the fuel filter fixed they had no spark. Though they had spark prior to repairing the fuel filter and the guy told me they had to jump start the car because the battery was dead.
They then determined it was a bad ignition module so they replaced that (bill is now 900)
Once ignition module is replaced they found the fuel injectors were not working. Replaced the computer module. Told me the car was behaving as though someone had reversed polarity. Bill is now 1100 +
No electrical problems before taking the car to these guys. I'm thinking they screwed it up when they jumped it.
Don't know how this could have happened otherwise.
But maybe I'm wrong. You tell me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh yes.... it's a 1988 olds cutless sierra
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The fuel injectors are common to fail but jumping vehicle incorrectly wouldn't cause all of these problems. It sounds like computer was the main problem if that was the last thing to be replaced. I'd simply tell then too many parts were replaced where it isn't possible for all of those parts to fail and let them know you expect to only pay for repair that was required which you were told was probably the computer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.