EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

I have a 2010 range rover sport. I have noticed when it's

Customer Question

I have a 2010 range rover sport. I have noticed when it's hot outside, when I first start my truck and my air is running, I hear a loud vacuum noise and my truck doesn't want to pick up speed. After 30 seconds or so it runs fine. This only happens when it's hot out and I run the air.
Category: Car
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Does this mostly happen the first time you turn on the ac for the day, or does it do it everytime throughout the day?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only when I first turn it on. After it runs a few minutes it stops. It can happen several times during the day but only on start up. It is happening more frequent now. I didn't have the problem during the winter but I did have it last summer.

Ok. The concern sounds like it is with the ac compressor. Have you had any recent work done to the ac system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, none at all. I've had the truck for 2 years. I recently had my 85000 mile maintenance which replaced several hoses but I'm not sure if any of them were ac hoses

AC hoses would not be replaced for maintenance. Ok. The reason I ask is because if the ac system is overfilled with freon, it causes the compressor to be sluggish and puts a real strain on the engine until it gets up to speed. The other instance when this happens is when the compressor may be failing. It should not cause a drag on the engine when turning it on. I think you should have the ac system checked. If the compressor does fail it can cause the engine to seize up, or cause metal from the compressor to run throughout the ac system causing a much more expensive repair.

Do you have any further questions on this? Please let me know. Also please rate my assistance today and have a great holiday!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am used to seeing a small puddle drip when I run my AC once I park my vehicle but lately I've noticed a lot more fluid coming from that same area, would this have anything to do with the AC compressor?

The water will drip more during humid weather. The dripping indicates that the ac compressor is at least partially working. But if you are having a power loss of your vehicle when the ac turns on, you still need to have the compressor and the other pulleys on the front of your engine checked.

If you have more questions then please ask. Otherwise please rate my service and have a great day.