Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have an 08 Impala SS the check engine light is currently

Customer Question

I have an 08 Impala SS the check engine light is currently on and when I drive for a while the Traction Control is also set off. I recently changed out my Gas pedal and that stopped the car from sputtering when ever I made I stop. I am soon going to take the vehicle to the shop to have a tune up and also change out the O2 Sensor as well. Will this fix my problem?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Im looking to buy the parts I actually need I already have the O2 Sensor and the wires to have the tune up done im just waiting on my spark plugs to come in.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: Yes When ever the Traction Control is triggered the car does a hard jerk whenever switching gears and my engine seems to rock when ever I go over 40 mph
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. The first thing that has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked for the check engine light itself.This needs done with a scan tool plugged in to your model that can communicate with all computers.There are several components that can cause the check engine light to come on and in allot of cases one of the engine or transmission codes setting can cause the traction light to illuminate as well.A shop or dealer will need to read out the fault codes set with a scan tool then diagnose it to see what needs replaced.I would also have the wheel speed sensor signals checked to see if one or more speed sensors are an issue needing replaced as this can cause traction control light issues as well.If it was already diagnosed as an O2 sensor then having it replaced will correct the check engine light fault and may also resolve the traction light issue but this will need to have the fault codes checked to be sure.In some cases places like Auto Zone will read out the fault codes at no charge to you. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete