Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Locked key in car,police got unlocked. got it home locked at

Customer Question

locked key in car,police got unlocked. got it home locked at night. can not get killswitch to disable. turn key on driver,dome lights dont go on.disconnected battery.still same issue.trying to more troubleshooting.96 grand cherokee
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: no wheel lock. in park.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes,
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled fuse out so horn not bothering neighbors,disconnected battery. tried several times with 3 different cut keys on driver side.lights still dont go on. driver cylender was replaced 10yrs ago,so it can only be deactivated at driver chip in key,no remote.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: next step for me is trying to trace and disconnect killswitch. internet said try different combinations of int lights.may be hidden wire
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

it was fine before the police unlocked it?

did they use a slim jim to open the drivers door ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gary, I had issues with laptop and could not respond. It was'nt a slim jim. It was more of a fiberglass stick that you put at the end of a driveway with a 1/4" elbow and close nipple at end. Was very hot in Chicago, I left windows down 1 1/2" he did driver, then passenger, then driver again and got open. got it home, locked at night. next am, key will not turn on dome light to disengage killswitch. there is no chip in key, i tried 3 different copies. still no go.