Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

05 scion xb battery charging issue, new battery abd new

Customer Question

05 scion xb battery charging issue, new battery abd new alternator that has been pulled and tested. multi meter on battery read 12.57 then started car tested on battery again at 11.97 in stead of the 13-14 volts the power cable on the alt has 12 volts to it and plug has 12 to it when key is turned on but nothing making its way back to the battery to charge it.. please help
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me the colors of the wires and their voltage reading with the key on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
blue - 11.92 / red with blk strip - 11.96 / yellow - 11.09
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Bobby I'm Keith by the way

Thanks Keith. Isn't there a black with red stripe?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no just red with black stripe

What color is the large single wire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry that one is black with red stripe - 12.06 now the battery just keeps draining. it was 12.25 this morning but drove it to napa and it went down

It sounds like the readings are fine. You may have a defective alternator.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have two installed in the last three days both new not rebuilds and double checked on the tester at auto part place and they both tested fine

Have you checked the alt fuse? If it is fine then it may be the control circuit on the green wire.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been trying to find a fuse for it but I can not find which one is it. and what green wire?

On the left side of the engine compartment there is a fuseible link box. This is actually a link. One easy way to check is to remove the large wire from the alternator and see if it has power when it is disconnected.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
12.22 volts

Then the fuse is fine. Does the charge change at all when putting a load on it or does it remain the same?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I had it load tested they just told me everything checked out fine..
I would like to clarify, they load tested the alternator on the vehicle or only off of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
any ideas??

From everything you have told me it should be charging fine unless the engine ground is loose or corroded. Has this been checked also?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it has been checked and no corrosion.

Thank you. I am at a loss as everything seems like it is functioning as it should. I will opt out and see if another expert has any other ideas. Please don't rate as the question will then lock to me.

Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 10 months ago.

Hey Keith, My names Kurt. I saw the previous expert opt'd out.

being at the dealership I have seen the neg. battery cable be the culprit a few times in this exact situation. But have also seen factory denso alternators being the only ones that work for it for whatever reason.

First lets check that ground cable. Can you make sure it and the power wire cables on teh battery are nice and snug on the battery and dont move around.

After that, where the ground wire attaches to the body can you unbolt that, get some sand paper or something to scuff up and clean up the terminal on the end of the cable and also the point where it bolts to the car?

once that is done, start the car and let me know what happens. Also, is the battery light coming on? If not, what about if you unplug the connector on the Alt. will the light come on?

I know A lot of this seems basic, but I want to help you get this issue resolved.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check it tomorrow and let you know thanks. The battery light was on while running before I replaced the second at and new battery the cables are tight but will check the ground to body and unplug at when I get home.

Awesome! Let me know!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Un plugged the alt and no battery light and only 12.25 volts on the battery and when I plugged it back in I am getting 14.22 yesterday and today.. why it's charging now not sure..

Thats awesome!! Glad its been working!

Wiggle the wire going to it if you can, just to eliminate a poor connection. I would go ahead and check that ground cable just to make sure as well since I have seen that cause issues.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh sorry I did.. it looked fine but went ahead and cleaned it and put back on..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think it might be something in the computer going out and not letting the power go back to battery to charge it..

No, The charging system on this vehicle is not ECU controlled. The two most common failures I have seen have been bad aftermarket alternators, or a bad ground wire.

Just double check the connections make sure they are all tight and also that the belt is tight and not slipping. If it all checked out and you are showing 14.00v then you are good to go!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The belt has not been making any noise I tighten it pretty good but will double check.. everything seems tight so I'm not sure why it went from charging to nothing and now back to charging out of the blue. I will check it all again when I get home and let you know thanks..

awesome! Not sure on the not charging, then charging either, but If its not broke, dont fix it haha.

Enjoy the car!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but something caused it to not charge and die a few different times so it has a issue somewhere.. I will be checking it again in about 20 min.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's still charging so I'm lost on why it stopped charging I don't know

thats good news! The only thing I can think of, is a bad connection that got fixed while checking things. It happens pretty often!

Glad its working!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not so much. Drove it to work today for the first time since it died.. I drive a hr on the interstate one way to work.. about 10 min down the road the battery light started to flicker again. Checked battery when I got there it was about 60% and 9.23 volts while running on the battery end. Put on a chatter all day and did the same on the way home but with 10.23 volts while running? ?

The only thing it can be is the alt. at this point.

I would HIGHLY suggest getting a reman denso alt. for the car.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Took it to a shop yesterday they fully charged the battery the hooked up there machine to it and we drove down the interstate for a accurate load test at high rpm light flickered and although was not working got back to shop checked again and it was charging.. so we put another alt on it now it does not charge setting but charges driving down the interstate. . So they are at a loss charged me half of the bill and said sorry..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I guess it's just time to burn it.. I had it in another shop and mentioned what you said because they could not figure it out. So a 600 tab later with a new oem from Toyota denso alt still doing the same and the shop had a local auto wire master come check it out and it's still doing the same..
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 9 months ago.

Thats VERY odd. Let me go back and double check the wiring diagram on this. 05 Scion XB right?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
05 scion xb