Roy Scarlett
Roy Scarlett,
Experience:  Auto Mechanics Teacher at Levittown Schools
93907001

My dash gauges [gas,signal switches,gas gauge etc.] stopped

Customer Question

My dash gauges [gas,signal switches,gas gauge etc.] stopped working on my 1979 MGB.Can you help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: MGB
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Everything was working on the dash then stopped.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know?
Customer: nope...that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to try to help with your problem. Have you done anything yet?
Hello, this is Roy again. If you can follow a wiring diagram download from this site, it is a great diagram. Also check the third fuse see if it is blown. The green wiring is the circuit for the dash, lights gauges. If I can answer any other questions please let me know, I will be glad to help. If this takes care of your problem please rate me.Thanks,Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Roy
Thank you for your help.I will try your suggestion tomorrow.
What site would I find the diagram ?
Sorry. Here is the site .MGB wiring diagrams in color.cdr - Advance Auto Wirewww.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdfRemove the green wires from the fuse box and insert a test light between the fuse box and the wires (in series).Now that you have added a load (test light) you can replace the fuse without it blowing. Turn the ignition switch on (green wires are switched) and the test light should come on.Using the wiring diagram, disconnect the loads one at a time on the green wires until the test light goes out.The one that turns off the light is the bad part of the circuit.Use a 15 amp fuse while testing.
You can use a multimeter, if you rather, than the test light.