Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Juan crespo , how do I reach you so we can continue our

Customer Question

Juan crespo , how do I reach you so we can continue our conversation on my 95 6.5 td diesel suburban
Category: Car
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
You just did!I see you have two open requests. Please close the other one and we can continue our diagnosis and get that Suburban running like it should.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tried asking you a question before and some other guy who doesnt know you answered , and only wants to talk about the tool.. Not much help there .. Alright so im still not really sure how this site works , so how do i close the other one ?
To close the other question, just contact Customer Service and tell them to close it.This is a virtual site where experts from all over the world answer questions from people that are also all over the world - for example, I'm sitting in my office in Dominican Republic while the other expert you talked to might be in Seattle, Washington or Sydney, Australia.Anyways, enough about the site. How are you? How is that Suburban coming along?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh no kidding ??? .. Ha that is neet , and ok ill try to contact them. And im doing good how are you ? And the suburban is still on the operating table where we left it doctor haha .. Well i got the scan tool, it isnt a tech1 but its a snap on mt 2500 , it doesnt show me a whole lot but it shows me alot more then what i expected . It also shows me that not only is it randomly missing cam refs it also randomly misses crank refs , and the ecm at idle is calling for 9. Something of timing and the actual timing goes grom anywhere to 0.0 to 25.0 but mostly dances around 5.40 - 12 . , and fuel i forget now i would have to see it but i believe that was running around 10 - 12 ,, sometimes it will miss 8 refs and go into limp mode , or it wont miss a beat but rpm will spike and come back , or wont miss a beat and just shut down
OK. I'm not terribly familiar with the MT2500, but I've found the user's manual in the Snap-On web site so I think we'll be OK.To recap, the onboard computer uses the crank signal to start and run the engine in a basic mode. It then uses the cam signal to fine-tune injection timing. When it doesn't detect a cam signal, it reverts to "basic" mode. When it doesn't detect a crank signal, it stops injection and the engine stalls.The scan tool has shown us that signals are either all over the place or missing all together, which makes me believe the main issue we face is not that any particular component is bad, but instead there are bad connections between the engine sensors and actuators and the onboard computer.In the olden days, we would just replace the wiring harness and be done with it, but I suspect that harness might not even be available anymore, which leaves us with the task of inspecting and testing the existing wires and connections.First and easiest test would be to observe the sensor values on the scan tool while wiggling and shaking the harness and connections with the ignition ON engine OFF - any values changing on the screen would be an indication of a bad connection or wiring. Can you do that and report the results?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i can , ill also look into trying to find a harness either from a aftermarket harness shop or from a doner truck
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can say that i have taken the wires out from under the intake and ran them on top to the side so i could play with them while it was running , i also looked over all yhe wires and i didnt see any issues. I also took the cover cap off the top of the pump and it looked clean and no debre or any sorts by the os, i did notice a slight tair in the white wire coating that goes from the too plate down into the sensor , i dont know if that was suppose to be there or not, stanadyne wouldnt assist me unless i bought something from them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But i will go back and make sure im walking with you threw it as your telling me to do, what values on the scanner should i be looking at ? .. i mean which values would be most suspect to change so i know what to keep my eye on as im playig with the wires
With the engine OFF and ignition ON, values on the scanner screen should not change or fluctuate. If they do when you wiggle the wires, then that would be considered an area of concern that needs further scrutiny.For example; you're looking at crank sensor value on the scan tool and that value changes as you wiggle the wires. That would mean there is a problem with either the connection at, or the wiring to the crank sensor.Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you ill get back to you as soon as i can
Not a problem.