Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Bentley Arnage 4.4 BMW type: Warning light Bentley

Customer Question

Warning light for 1999 Bentley Arnage . RIDE AUTOMATIC CONTROL warning light goes on and off. Not a steady warning light .Dealer before selling changed the rear air spheres and the springs . The rear dampers are not leaking .
Bentley dealer indicated need to change both dampers , then if no correction change the RIDE CONTROL MODULE .
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. I do need your vin # ***** get the factory repair information to assist!! thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you . As I stated I paid for 2 hours of diagnosis at my Local Franchised Bentley Dealer . They are not overly familiar with the older cars pre VW . Their computer diagnosis was either the rear dampers ,or the Auto Ride Control Module . Both are extremely expensive . They would first change the dampers and then the module . However the dampers are not leaking fluid . One of the rubber protective boots is slighty torn . No corrosion on the damper .
The car seems to ride a little hard but nothing noteworthy . Not noticable according to the Dealer .Again the 4 springs, front and rear, and the Gas spheres were changed by the new car BMW dealer who took the car in trade and sold it to me when they did not wish to spend additional funds to repair .
I have a source in England who rebuilds the dampers and gives the same warrantee as a new part , one year . I have located 2 used modules , same year ,from working cars that are parts cars that i can easily obtain . A new module can only be obtained from the factory and is is a rebuilt item . There is some tape on the wiring harness going to one of the levelers . It was inspected and there appears to be no defect. THE DEALER HAS LEARNED that the exact damper in my 1999 ,same as 2000 has been superseded and the new ones require a electrical harness modification factory kit .The wiring tape area may be the modification where one of the dampers may have been changed in the past , There is no way to tell without disassembly .I am asking you based on your knownledge as a Bentley expert for your experience and judgment call as to how to proceed .And what is you differential Diagnosis .The dealer estimate for the new parts alone is in excess of 10,000. After you research and provide a written response perhaps we can talk directly . I am assuming you are a Bentley specific expert .I am very appreciative for any support you can provide . Thanks again Stanley
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
ok the issue is electronically . the system has 4 struts and then a steering wheel rotation sensor. what are the resistance of the 2 outer wires of each connector at the struts. please let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is beyond my ability . However I will contact the repair shop and make arrangements to get the information. at this point can i transfer the contact to you and my Mechanic at my cost ? Unfortunately it may take a week for him to make room for my car .Are there specific times to call you directly ? We are in Florida on EST . Thank you for your help .
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
i'm in the eastern time zone also!! usually week days between 9-5
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will contact you when I get a date for the mechanic . At this time it must be on hold .Thank you
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
got it!!