Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

My key turns in the ignition but doesn't quite reach start

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 1977 corvette stingray
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It started just fine. I turned it off and went to turn it back on and it doesn't turn to start anymore
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Wiggling the key and turning the wheel to make sure it's not locked
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know?
Customer: Just what car it is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your corvette. I've seen this a couple of time on the older Chevys, there are a couple of possibilities, but most common is down torwards the base of the steering column is an electrical switch that is bolted to the column and has a metal rod running into it. You may not see the rod as it is running inside the column usually. This is the ignition start switch. The rod is activated or pushed on by the ignition lock cylinder which is where your key goes. It's possible for the cyl. To be bad or the actuating mechanism but most likely it's related to the switch at the base. The switch has 2 bolts that hold it on and go through 2 slots. The slots are there on the switch so you can adjust it. It may be loose or may be the rod stretched a little after 39yrs. I would first check this switch out. If you want to eliminate all wiring possibilities you can take this switch off but while the electrical wires are connected slide the bar where the rod goes and if you slide it all the way it will start the car. Be careful and make sure the car is in neutral if manual or park if it's automatic. If it starts you know it is a mechanical issue. Like the adjustment of the switch or the rod and lock cylinder actuating mechanism. Most likely the adjustment. If it's loose when you get there try adjusting and tightening. Some of the Chevys the rod would push some would pull so you may have to adjust it a few times. Once down once up but when your finished make sure it is turning off completely so you don't have a battery drain later.I do strive for a 5 star rating so please let me know if this helps or if I can be of more assistance.
Thanks Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny