Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a Land Rover Disco 2 . with a coolant leak ... i pour

Customer Question

i have a Land Rover Disco 2 . with a coolant leak ... i pour water into the overflow tank and it is dripping out on the driver side / lower engine. This is without even running it.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here is a video:
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. I am sorry for the long day. I am checking to see if you are still in need of help first off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes - why claim if you aren't going to provide insight. My additional research Looks like a front engine / crank shaft cover.
I just log in and help as many customers as I can. I have no control over anything else nor am I employed by the website. I just do this to help others and earn an income. You did not mention the year which I would like prior to uploading diagrams from the repair guides. From your video I suspect the front cover to blame or the water pump to blame but I would like to get you some engine images and have you check those areas closer from above and below. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a 2003
I have the shop manual but I'm either not looking right place or it's not too helpful.What can I provide? Btw it leaks right from the overflow out - without even starting
With what I have been able to see so far. It looks like the water pump is to blame, the pump gaskets, the front cover is cracked or its cover is leaking. My suggestion is a new front cover gasket and water pump at this time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I was able to aceratain that is leaking in the area you pointed out. So when I pour it into overflow tank - it fills the passenger side of water pump and flows across to the drivers side of pump. How does it get from there to the lower part of the front cover? Is it leaking at water pump and flowing down to the front cover? Or going thru front cover and leaking at the front cover gasket of where water enters block?
From your video I can not see well enough to tell where the water is coming out of the engine. I can see where its dripping from but thats all. The water pump coolant flows through the timing cover then into the block.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes i was able to ascertain that myself but is there a way that i would get to where its dripping from based on what we can see. I could tell it was going from reserve into pump and then it sort of becomes blind. what i saw on line is that it comes out pump, thru the front cover and into the block. But I'm curious how it would travel to the point its leaking down out what is in the video. That is not what i can track.
The only way to get to the point to see, is to remove the fan, shroud, and belt. Then you can view it much better to see if its just a gasket or water pump or front cover to blame. PS this post is due to time out and close on the 30th.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris