Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

2000 land Rover.

Customer Question

2000 land Rover.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
hi im kevin how can we help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a 2000 land Rover.. It just stopped running..it will turn over.. But seems not to get spark.. Left it sit a day..and it started back up.. Then quit about 10 min later.. Same thing again.. Rolled over.. But didn't fire.. Then a day later it started back up..and quit about 10 min later.. I changed the fuel pump..and the fuel pump relay.. No help..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
what model do you have?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Discovery series 2 it has a v8.. Could it be a throttle position sensor.. Or mass air flow sensor or a crankshaft sensor.. ?? It will start after letting it sit a day.. Or could it be the ECU.. ? I just don't want to buy a million parts and it not be the right one..
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
ok the most likely cause if you loosing spark will be the crank sensor
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So it will run..and then stop if the crank sensor is bad?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
its possible the crank sensor is a winding of wire as as it warms can become faults so will cause this type of issue but deffinatly causes intermittent start
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I tried spraying either in the intake..and it fired up for a second when I did that.. That's why I was leaning towards a fuel problem..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh and it's a 4.0
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
ah ok then it has spark so its unlikely to be a crank sensor fault (you initially said no spark).you need to test weather you are getting a pulse to injectors .a each injector will be a two pin plug one earth the other a switch live .you need to check your getting this switched live
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So run a ohm meter on the fuel injector wires?? And I said it seems not to get spark.. Lol but ya.. It fired when we sprayed either in it.. But didn't stay running for more then a few seconds..and that was after it had stalled out... It really don't sputter or nothing when it dies.. It just shuts down.. Kinda like something is telling it to shut it's self off..
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
jus t burnt the whatever you've sprayed in intake .check volts