Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I replaced idle air control valve on 2005 2.2 pontiac sunfire

Customer Question

I replaced idle air control valve on 2005 2.2 pontiac sunfire because engine light indicated this was causing my engine to idle too fast.However after I replaced with new valve now my engine idles up and down constantly whether sitting or driving.Have checked to see if there is a vacum leal with no luck.You have any ideal why it wont smooth out.By the way I unpluged the iac and it still idles up and down.
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I am one of the GM techs here.Did you reset the IAC valve pintle after replacing? If not, here is the procedure:Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds .Start the engine and check for proper idle operation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that but still idle up and down.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I noticed when I ordered this valve that the same company sell the same part for $20 more and it says screw and seal included.I got a screw with mine but as far as a seal it wasnt anything other than the vowel?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
btw I was told to disconect the negative battery post to clear it and let it reset the the computer...no luck with that procedure as it never worked.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello u still with me?
The symptoms described really sound like a vacuum leak. If the other part comes with the seal, I would go back to the supplier and swap them out. Go ahead and do that and let me know if you need further assistance. - Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't return the iMac as I ordered it on line and have used it.I sprayed all around everything and can't detect any vacum leak.I did take the iMac valve back out and it had extended outward so could it be stuck closed or open?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello u get last response from me?
If it is in the fully extended position then the valve is stuck upen. That's not good.
The AC Delco part # *****(###) ###-#### ***** Auto sells it for $69. That is what I would recommend.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took it out and it had gone back.what are the odds it could be a head gasket leak and is there a way I can check it? Also would the iac cause it to idle up and down if defective?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will u open up my question to someone that is familiar with my problem? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does anybody out there know whether or not I can test a idle air control for a Pontiac 2.2 2005 model
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.from the way you explain the problem,,it sounds as if you may have a vacuum leak,,check all hoses/lines for damage .PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrj4djkf4sl18wd/0424-sunfire-IDLE%20AIR%20CONTROL.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/hrj4djkf4sl18wd/0424-sunfire-IDLE%20AIR%20CONTROL.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks Tim.this is a frustrating issue as I don't know why I havnt been able to find a vacum leak and I have sprayed brake cleaner around and on everything.why can't the iac be tested to see if it's malfunctioning?if so can it be tested with an ohms meter.? Btw I checked and confirmed the quick conect is getting power on it.if there is a vacum leak on the head gasket how can i check it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The links u sent i cant copy and paste.
paste the link it your main browser.not a search engine
you can do a good test on the iac without a computer to work it..if you connect power to it it will only open it.
with it idling up and down tells me it is working..it is searching for idle
the intake manifold is a common place for these to get a vacuum leak
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can u find a intake manifold leak?
spray starting fluid around the intake...the engine should change its tune if it has a leak
be careful doing this,dont catch it on fire
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok will try and get no to u.
okthanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gave it a try but no vacum leak detected.I read on line that idling up and down could mean a faulty iac?
yes..the iac could cause that..did you not replace it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I did replace with the cheapest one I could find on line which was sold by parts geek $60..Delph..
it should be a good one
still seems to hav a vacuum leak somewhere,,this is what makes it hunt for correct idle
do you get any trouble codes now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does this model have a mass air flow sensor and if so could it be causing this issue? Will have it rechecked for codes.
no maf sensor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about fuel injector blockage?Guess I need to have another ck engine test done and see what codes come up?
i would doubt it being the injectors..yes,scan it and get the codes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
let me know the code numbers you getthanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Code P.o. 507..guy at the auto zone says probaly the Tps?
this still points to the iac..make sure the wire harness is good to the iaci will give you tests/checks for this codethanksPLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdtt8qqkbrajg09/0424-sunbird-P0507.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/fdtt8qqkbrajg09/0424-sunbird-P0507.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
For some reason my Firefox browser won't accept these links and neither can I access them on my cell phone.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine races up and down while driving also.Seems like I read the iMac only should work while idling?
yes..the iac only works at an idle..sounds more like a vacuum leak
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What part does the throttle position sensor play
the tps tells the computer how much throttle you are giving so that ist cadn add the right amount of fuel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I'm going to have the engine check for a vacuum leak this week and see if they can determine what's going on with it. Also it's beyond me why if the computer is diagnosing it as being the idle air control what is it we're still guessing at wwhat's going on
you can also get this code with a vacuum leak,,,the iac would be trying to correct the idle,and would make it give the codethanks'
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
never mentioned I had clutch master cylinder and clutch kit installed.could there be any vacum seepage from these components?It's a 5 speed.
i dont see a connection with the clutch system itself..though a vacuum hose/line have have got disconnected during the work..you need to check all the vaccum hoses/linesthanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I started engine and disconnected the iac and the vowel was open.I reinstated it an started engine and let it warm up and disconnected the iac.The vowel was still open when I took it out.shouldn't it be closed for more air after warm up?
the iac fluctuates all the time to keep the idle stable
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok since we are looking at a vacum leak and havnt been able to find one.what about air in the coolant system?Could that be it?if so how can i find out?
if you are getting air in the cooling system,you may have a blown head gasket..bleed it this way1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold2-start the engine and let idle3-turn the heater on max4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed5-spme coolant may gush out with the air6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the capThis may take as long as 20-30 minutes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mechanic could not find vacum leak.iac,knock sensor,temperature sensor all replaced.What about the Tps,it can cause this symptom righ If bad?
yes,,the tps could in fact cause a similer problemthanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I have a guy that claims that he can check Those sensors weather on the vehicle the idle air control and the temperature sensor and the knock sensor I guess it is that possible
yes,,it is possible
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok he wasn't going to charge me.
let me know how it gosthanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thought I would let u know the mechanic discovered the map sensor was the problem.Dont know why none of the postings or mechanics i had spoke with on here didnt sugest checking it?
glad you got itthanks