Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

2010 rav 4 - a/c not blowing cold air. dealer checked for

Customer Question

2010 rav 4 - a/c not blowing cold air. dealer checked for leaks and added freon. still not cold air. They suspect a switch not working and will diagnose. Is this costly and does it make sense.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If the freon is full, and the compressor isn't cycling, then it could be the compressor itself, (what the belt spins from the engine) which would be fairly expensive, but I doubt that is the problem as this vehicle is fairly new and compressors usually last longer than that. I suspect it is a relay in the fuse box out under the hood, or possibly the pressure switch, again both of those components are not very expensive, and more than an hour or so labor charge to change either is more than fair. Shops usually have an hour min. diagnostic charge and that should more than cover replacement of either one of these two components. There should be a relay in the under hood fuse box labelled MG. You could swap it with the horn relay temporarily to see if it cut the compressor on then. but don't leave the horn relay in the MG spot as it is a higher amperage circuit than the horn relay can handle over time. I hope it's not the compressor, because these are expensive. If it's just a relay or pressure switch, a couple of hundred dollars including labor is more than fair. If it is the compressor however, it's going to be alot more, these compressors are 3-400 online and likely double that at a dealership. You may want to take it to an independent shop if you can find one with good reviews locally to save you money if indeed it is the compressor. It's likely going to be one of the three things I have mentioned. let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.