Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

Daewoo Kalos: We own a 2003 Daewoo Kalos which has 93,000

Customer Question

We own a 2003 Daewoo Kalos which has 93,000 ks on the clock. We have just had an annual general service. Our service report included the following comments:
Brake Material estimation of percentage left to wear - front 20: rear 70 and also noted the suggested following requirements
Brake fluid flush; Engine Air Filter Dirty: Fuel Filter Old; Rocker Cover gasket leaking and underneath the car covered in oil. Replace rocker gasket and degrease. Front brake pads and rotors due in say next six months; Front sway bar link boots split; front lower control arm, rear bushes cracking. We were told that none of the above represents an immediate safety hazard (over the length of our ownership of the car we have averaged 8000 Ks pa). We have had all appropriate services as per logbook and this is the first service done in our new location of WA from Qld. The estimated cost of the above suggested items amount to half of the insured value of the car. Your advice please
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Your car is 12 years old now, so the things you have listed are typical wear and tear items.If you do the front brakes and the oil leak over the next few months and then the other few things prior to the next service, that would spread the cost out at little.Also weigh up what a trade up to another car would cost.Your current small car would still be worthwhile in the short/meduim term.If the timing belt has been done, that is the dearest service you'll pay for.Hope this helps.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards Gary