sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm trying to replace the steering wheel of a military AMG

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the steering wheel of a military AMG HUMVEE and having a hard time finding an adaptor that fits the spline. What kind of adaptor will fit this model?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You shouldn't be concerned with splines when removing the steering wheel. A steering wheel puller's forcing screw will push in the center of the steering column shaft with the nut removed, bolts will thread into the two holes in the wheels, the bolts being attached to the plate on the puller.Can you elaborate on the issue you're having concerning the splines?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to remove the steering wheel with a puller, but now I'm trying to replace it with an after market steering wheel and can't find an adaptor that fits the splines on the Humvee. I tried one for older model american cars but it doesn't seem to want to go in. I haven't put much force on them so I don't damage the spline. I need to either find an adaptor that fits around the Huvee spline or another solution to fit an aftermarket steering wheel on.
I couldn't recommend an adapter because it could create an unsafe condition. The splines of the wheel should match the column.Do you have a link to the steering wheel you bought?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The steering wheel is universal with an adaptor hub that fits your car. The matching adaptor hub is what I'm having a hard time finding.
Do you have a link to the steering wheel you bought?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Steering wheel is similar to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Racing-Steering-Wheel-320MM-Black-Suede-Spoke-Red-Stitch-JDM-Horn-/271558323940?hash=item3f3a232ee4:g:hzEAAMXQt~hSJaGc&vxp=mtr
Requires adaptor like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-04-MITSUBISHI-ALL-ECLIPSE-STEERING-WHEEL-HUB-ADAPTER-/150689511332?hash=item2315cb77a4:g:KCUAAOSw~1FUWXLQ&vxp=mtr
Should look like attachment
Is this the exact product that you have?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Racing-Steering-Wheel-320MM-Black-Suede-Spoke-Red-Stitch-JDM-Horn-/271558323940?hash=item3f3a232ee4:g:hzEAAMXQt~hSJaGc&vxp=mtr
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the exact one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-GRIP-RED-STITCH-USA-320MM-6-BOLT-AFTERMARKET-DRIFT-STEERING-WHEEL-/401065105972?hash=item5d6157da34:g:9q4AAOSwoydWsOME&vxp=mtr
I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. My problem is finding an adaptor hub that matches or serve the same purpose.
Are you able to measure the spline diameter with a micrometer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I got a little gap meter and from what I could measure it's 15mm. It look like the last one I sent from the link above was 14mm.
I'm on the road at the moment and will get back to you as quickly as I can!Do you know the spline count?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll have to check but I did notice the old steering wheel had one flat spline on it.
Yes, that's the dead spline for positioning.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I counted 30 I think. Kind of hard to count. There is a flat slot too.
Still working on this!