Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

What would cause a 2003 Rodeo to lose power and not restart.

Customer Question

what would cause a 2003 Rodeo to lose power and not restart. no indication lights and seemed to be running fine. I turned into my drive and the engine died. good battery
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Does it crank normally? and your sure it's got gas in it right? Also, if you just turn the key ON, do you see the check engine light come on in the instrument cluster? thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
filled up with gas yesterday recent oil change. other than th whole dash lighting up no check engine light
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
There is no check engine light that comes on? Let me check this out, give me just a few . thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright on yours I believe it is just an engine symbol, do you see this lit up with key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not on
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, do you have a volt meter or engine code scanner by chance? I would like to see if any codes are stored.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I dont
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And luckily it died as I pulled into my driveway
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, Can you spray some starting fluid in it? Right in the air intake while cranking it. I would like to see if it would run on starting fluid even briefly for a few seconds. that would tell us that the engine had spark to the plugs and fuel delivery was the issue. Do you hear the fuel pump run for just a few seconds when you cut the key on. It's easiest to do when somebody turns on the key and you take off the gas cap and listen at the filler neck, you should hear a slight buzz for a couple of seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I'll have towed to my mechanic in the morning
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, If you have any further questions, please let me know. It's probably the PCM relay if no check engine light is coming on. but I can't be sure. check all your fuses. Thank you