Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I put the gear on drive or reverse and it wont move does have

Customer Question

i put the gear on drive or reverse and it wont move does have oil and the shifter does move what could it be
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: was running good no noise no slipping it just suddenly stop moving
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: oil was very dirty and had more then required no metal particles found on pan
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what year make and model do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 l
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok so when you move it from park does the truck come out of park and roll? or will it not come out of park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it won't move at all its stays light its in neutral but does not move
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, what i am asking is if the truck is still physically in park, and you cannot roll it, if so then the cable adjustment or the cable itself may be the issue. can you turn the key on, remove it from park and see if you can roll the truck, that will determine a transmission issue or a adjustment issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's my neighbors truck snd he has the key and he is not here at the moment but yesterday he would shift the gears and I was under the truck and you can see the gears moving on the transmission but no movement at all . We have it kind of in a incline and on neutral the truck wouldn't roll
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, sounds to me like something internal to the trans broke which is not that common in my experience, you will have to drop the pan and check the rod inside or make sure the rod does not have a nut on it on the outside, let me see if i can find some info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
is this how yours is set up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll check it out today
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok