Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have fitted an 2001 astra power steering to a hilux ute.

Customer Question

Hi I have fitted an 2001 astra power steering to a hilux ute. I tested the pump on the bench and it worked fitted it in with wiring all in an it worked. So I hooked the hose's up filled the reservoir up and it wont go now. I have backed tracked to the point of the pump is ready to pull out still no go. Checked voltages battery13.4v motor running 14.36v
checked power supply voltage when running 14.16v black wire 14.2v white/blue wire 13.1v
I can not work out why this is happening just hoping that you might be able to help
Regards; Brian
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brian,When you say you tested it on the bench, do you mean just electrically, or did you have it pumping fluid?Are you sure the pump is spinning the right way, ie: you have the wiring backwards?Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi gary
I have used the original wiring harness that came with the pump, earth wire has a eyelet for a bolt to earth. when it was in the ute and tested the pump, it sprayed power steering fluid out the hose line so then proceed to hook every thing up and now no go power to the pump is getting to the plugs and past
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brian,That is interesting.I have a feeling there is more to it than just 12v and ground.Is there any other wires?I have only replaced 2 pumps in Astra, so it has been a while.I find a circuit diagram for you.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi gary
their are three other wires black wire is 12 v white/blue wire is ignition or alternator and brown wire is diagnostic
have tested power at psp plugs main power with ute running was 14.16v black 12v power was14.2 and the w/blue wire was13.1v
brian
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brian,This guy believes you can do it:http://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70149How many plugs on the whole assembly?I believe there is a controller module mounted on the assembly.I'd say the pump is PWM driven according to torque request from steering rack pinion sensor. It would normally be programmed with TECH2 after replacement.So with your setup, you may have hurt the pump already.The circuit I hoped to find is unavailable from TIS or SI at the moment.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi Gary
The web site you forward the pump is a little different to mine it has fins around the bottom housing and the one I have has no fins and it has pos. an neg. wiring and one loom with three thin wires.
I found a serial number on the housing; M14820433DF and the plastic top has TRW PA61 stamped on it
brian
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brian,I don't think I can help you further.There isn't a circuit available.TRW made the early pumps, replaced by DELPHI.The pump has an over current protection, and being run flatout it has probably tripped.I will opt out, and open the question to others.All the best.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
brian
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brian,I did opt out for another tech to help you, but nobody else has been able to help you.I have found a forum thread that explains what others have done to get it to work.Here is the link:http://performanceforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67296417.htmlHope this may help you.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brian,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards.Gary