Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I HAVE AN : Opel Omega 2002 v6 3.2L my story is long i

Customer Question

HI ***** : Opel Omega 2002 v6 3.2L
my story is long i hope you can bare with me
1-HERE IS THE SITUATION BEFORE THE IPROBLEM HAPPENED:the car had an issue of starting at mornings or when left not running for hours after couple of tries it fires up
few weeks ago while driving it started rumbling (vibrating) and engine light started flashing when stopped at traffic light it died
then tried to start it up and it did fire up and had the engine light on rev reaches 4k maximum and there is hesitation
same thing happened at the next two traffic lights the last one it never fired up until today2-AFTER THE PROBLEM HAPPENED:
when i got to the mechanic. they said it was the fuel pump as it wasn't feeding the engine when replaced there was a feed but still the car doesn't fire up . now tried to diagnose it and they had many fault code error all fixed but the one that still not going is camshaft position sensor missing (sorry i don't remember the code) if needed i will provide it3- SOLUTIONS AND DIAGNOSES THEY DID:1-as mentioned before there was no fuel getting to the engine
solution was fuel pump replaced result there is fuel
2-the mechanic did some testing with multi-meter and there was no voltage coming to the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor solution ECU+KEY CHIP+IGNITION MODUAL replaced .result there is feed to the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor
3-due the error code i got i replaced the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor (with this and the new ECU all injectors now spray fuel) (with the old ECU none out of the 6 injectors where spraying fuel )
4-did complete check on the wiring or harness from the ECU to the crankshaft sensor and camshaft there was no short or open circuit
5-with multimeter the voltage feed i get on the camshaft and crankshaft sensor plug coming from the ECU is 2.4V
6-tried different coils .
7-spark plugs are new yet (they said they found water inside the left side of spark plug place) but they did take it out and spark plugs were still fine (although it's wired i didn't wash the engine but anyways )4- FINAL RESULTS AND CONCLUSION
with all these replacement of parts the engine is still not firing up and the same fault error is coming (camshaft sensor is missing)
NOTE : when disconnecting the battery for a while and reset the car the engine is has rev and almost firing up but it just gives up sometimes backfires after a while
after that it's just rev with no sign of firing at all there is air withdrawn you can see the everything turningthe electrician said that everything related to electricity is fine (except relays and fuses am not sure he checked them and don't know which is which and what to look for)MY QUESTION :
what should i do or look for . how to fix the problem could it be electrical or mechanical issue
i am really sorry for making it too long but i know that these things are needed information am no mechanic but i got so experience with time xD PLEASE AM DISPARATE FOR A SOLUTION I WOULD TIP FARLEY IF YOU HELPED ME THANKS IN ADVANCE
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. It sounds like you have covered the electrical fairly well including the new cam sensor.One common cause for no cam sensor signal is a timing component has worn or broken.I have seen timing chains and belts break and cause the engine to jump timing and cause rough running as well as a no start with the no cam signal code.With all that has been done here I dont think this is an electrical issue here,this sounds like a mechanical timing component at fault with one of the timing components worn or broken most likely needing replaced.I would check into the timing components to see if any issues are found and if a fault is found it will need repaired from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi the mechanic did check for timing actually sorry i forgot to mention that but i will make him double check the timing in meanwhile is there any other reasons for this issue
another question is the voltage i get in cam and crank connector coming from the ECU 2.4v IS correct or that should be a 5v
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
It looks like you should have ground on the center pin like most models at this sensor and 5 volts on one of the outer pins with the key on.If you are only getting 2.4 volts one thing that will draw down this cam sensor voltage is any other sensor tied into this 5 volt circuit shoring out the 5 volt circuit.I dont have a diagram of this circuit on this model here unfortunately but sometimes this 5 volt sensor wire ties into the EGR valve,purge valve,crank sensor as well as other engine sensors.Unplug each sensor on the engine one by one to see if your 5 volts comes back.If you get to one where the 5 volt comes back then the component you disconnected needs replaced.If all of these are o.k. I would have the timing checked as most cam sensor volts are 5 volts but this may be a 2.5 volt signal ( I doubt it but possible). Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
true the camshaft and crankshaft are tied together as they work in sequence in this car as the mechanic said
the test was done with both disconnected and yet both getting only 2.4v (i assumed it was ok cause the injectors were spraying fuel as far as i know that is an indicator of a working crankshaft sensor along with rev)
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Yeah that usually indicates the sensors are o.k. so the 2.4 volts may be correct here.I would have the timing checked for any issues and if any are found the affected timing component at fault will need replaced.This is the only other thing I can think of and the timing components may need fully accessed to fully inspect to locate and repair any faults found. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will update you tomorrow about the timing inspection
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi the mechanic did check the timing and everything was good no problems at all. we are back at square one i still don't know the issue please help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he said that he did check it before