Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2002 sonata: there is no check engine light but

Customer Question

***** *****: 2002 sonata: there is no check engine light but when I was on the freeway my car started to sputter. I did the pre buy inspection and I know I was told to replace valve cover gasket and oil pan. I did not do the compression test because the engine was working fine. This does not happen when I am on the street, this was my first time taking it on the freeway.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what I am sure I can it probably would work best if you asked the question and I answered them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist from your description, I would start with a set of plugs. they may be breaking down under load. any other work done to the car?? Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I got my air filtered, the struts, alignment, oil change and new tires I also replaced the alternator belt and serpentine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was told that the spark plugs were replaced. I was told, would that not come up in the pre-buy inspection.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
ok, I would still have them checked. it is the most common reason for this issue. Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what plugs would it be and also why wouldn't they mention that in the pre-buy inspection, or do they only check for that when they do compression checks?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
it is hard to call plugs as they may look good but fail under heavy loads. it takes a trained eye to pick that up. spark plugs. is this a 4 or 6 cylinder???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
6 cylinder
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
do you want to continue or do want someone else???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i want to continue
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-iridium-ix-spark-plug-bkr5eix-11-5464/15650078-P?searchTerm=spark+plugs these are the plugs you need
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
could this also be the beginning of a timing belt issue? would my check engine light come on if it was?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how many should i buy for my car?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
no, not the timing belt. you would have other issues the check engine would eventually come on but it has to do it on a consistent basis for a period of time before setting a code Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
6 for a six cylinder
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
if you like I will tell customer service to refund the other question so you dont get charged 2 times Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also if my car is mis firing would the check engine light come on?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
yes, but as I stated only when it becomes consistant. right now it is only at highway speeds so no, it will not Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what other issues would I have if it was the timing belt?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
hard start, hesitation and stalling. you would also have a check engine light for cam sensor. like I said, there would be more issues if it was the timing belt Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But based on what i told you it would be the spark plugs? If it was lets say misfiring or the timing belt the sputtering would happen whether I was on the freeway or not?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
spark plugs under heavy load only, not on normal driving. forget the timing belt. not even an issue here with your symptom Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy