mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a knock in my engine after it has been running

Customer Question

I have a knock in my engine after it has been running for a few minutes
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: When I give it a little gas it goes away what causes that to happen
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I I have changed the cats and the 02 sensors also but the knocking is still there
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Car
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.
were does the knock sound like it is coming from? upper end or lower end?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Upper
what year make and model vehicle do you have?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
07 Toyota tundra
do yu have the 5.7 in it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.7
okay those are common for the vvt acuator to rattle at idle due to getting gummed up and sticking. sometimes you are able to save them by doing an engine flush with a solvent that you put in the engine oil and let the truck idle for about 25-30 minutes before you change the oil. you can also add a half a quart of transmission oil to the engine oil to help keep everything clean in between oil changes the detergents in atf will keep everything clean and the oil of the atf is safe to use in engine oil without any side effects. otherwise you are looking at replacing the camshaft acuators. if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating as this is how the site credits us.