Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Last June, the alternator, starter, and battery was

Customer Question

Last June, the alternator, starter, and battery was replaced. I was basically having the same issue about dead battery the next day. A repair shop told me the instrument panel was the problem. I read some forums and found out about instrument cluster causing this. The shop wasn't able to get me one until they could order it beginning of the week. They took it out and I resoldered all the connections that looked cold. They installed in back in and haven't had any issues since June 2015. Now, a auto shop fails the 4.86 Amp draw. Could these be related? Can I pull the connector on the instrument cluster and see if the ampmeter shows normal to rule it out?
Thanks,
Chad
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, that would be one way to check it. Or you could try pulling the INST fuse first, and see if it drops out that way. If it doesn't drop then you could go to the cluster connector, if it does then your cluster is acting up again.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, that would be one way to check it. Or you could try pulling the INST fuse and see if it drops that way. If it doesn't drop then you could go to the cluster connector, if it does then you know the cluster is acting up again.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

..