Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

On 2000 sierra 1500 4.3 v6 .of the two wires on alternator

Customer Question

on 2000 sierra 1500 4.3 v6 .of the two wires on alternator ...should there a small voltage on the control wire?I had a large draw from bad tape deck (now disconnected). Changed alt and still wont charge.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

HI there,

The PCM should send a voltage signal to the small wire in the L position on the alternator when you turn the key on or start the truck. This energizes the magnetic field on the alternator so it will begin to charge. If you aren't getting any voltage through that wire, then it's either broken or the PCM has failed. Follow the wire through the harness and check for any areas that may be broken.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, was wondering if you need further assistance with this?