Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1988B.M.W. 735i I replaced the fuel pump but it

Customer Question

I have a 1988B.M.W. 735i I replaced the fuel pump but it will only come on with a hot wire directly from the battery,all the lights ,dash and turns over but no fuel pump this car has sat for alittle over 10yrs. Does the onboard computer have anything to do with the fuel pu
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In the right rear corner of your engine compartment (passenger rear corner) locate relay #2 shown below.This is the fuel pump relay.This relay can fail and will cause this issue here needing replaced.I would see if all fuses are o.k. and if they are I suspect this relay needs replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prv4bnl3uru4x28/re-03-29.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete