Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

The automatic top on my 2001 F1 Ferarri 360 Spider Will not

Customer Question

The automatic top on my 2001 F1 Ferarri 360 Spider Will not close farther thanthe point the boot closes behind the seats. Do you have any troubleshooting advice such as fuses etc.?
Many Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This type of fault here can be caused by an internal electrical fault with one of the limit/position switches that send a signal to the control unit on what position the roof is in.If one of these fail to send the correct signal when the top is in operation this fault here occurs.What has to be done from here unfortunately to locate which switch/sensor is at fault is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired.The scan tool is also used to monitor the position switch signals to locate one or more at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not a mechanic and not very hands on. I don't have a "scan tool" or know what that is. Is there anything else I should try before I take it to a mechanic such as a fuse or some kind of hydraulic fluid in the motor that runs the top?Thanks!
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I dont see this as a hydraulic fluid or pump fault.This sounds more like an issue with one of the limit/position switches itself as this is common.Unfortunately the signals from these switches will need checked with a scan tool to see which one is at fault here needing replaced.The fault codes will also need checked to see what codes are set in each computer to help locate the cause here as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete