sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Immobilizer Active is on ... What's the quickest fix, Will

Customer Question

Immobilizer Active is on ... What's the quickest fix
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Will not start at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: This is my son's car in Albuquerque, but he's in Denver, we're from Hobbs, NM & I have no tools ... tow to dealership?
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: He has been manually using his key to start
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you don't have a scan tool or any other equipment then yes, the quickest way to get the problem repaired will be to get the car to a dealer. If a second key if available then the first hing that should definitely be done is try it. The problem may be the immobilizer module, the key, a communication issue, and some vehicles use a separate antenna coil that reads the key and this can fail. If a second key doesn't work then a high end aftermarket or dealer scan tool will be necessary to diagnose the issue, if the key or immobilizer module have failed it will take a scan tool to program the replacement.