Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

My wife has a 2008 suzuki sx4 2.0L. This morning, the car

Customer Question

Hi Gary,
My wife has a 2008 suzuki sx4 2.0L. This morning, the car started and idled fine, but the peddle is unresponsive. Meaning, pushing the peddle to the floor does not change the rpms. Does this vehicle have a mechanical or electric throttle cable? Is this something I can fix with basic tools? Since it will not respond, I would have to tow it somewhere if I cannot fix it myself
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Is the check engine light also on when it's running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But, it has been on before the problem. My wife works at a nissan dealership with a service department. We had them run diagnostics, and they said it was the catalytic converter
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok,

First, if the converter is plugged up, it could be causing the issue. Usually though you would see some change or bucking or something when you press the accelerator.

It does have an electronic throttle, so it is possible it's in fail safe mode. I would try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so and see if it resets. Otherwise you will need to run the codes to try and determine what has failed on it. The power to the throttle, a throttle position sensor issue or even a pedal position sensor could all cause it to go into fail safe mode.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, will do. I'll disconnect the battery and see if it resets. I'd just like to avoid a tow bill by getting it to my wife's dealership. If it was a mechanical, I thought I could it. However, it sounds like they will have to run diagnostics to find the source of the problem.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Being electronic I am sure of it, but if the problem is just a glitch, then doing the battery bit might help so you can get it someplace without the tow.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Thought I would check back and see if you need further assistance or not?